November 04, 2007

When Celebs Put Their Foot In Their Mouth, And Feel Happy About It

Younis Khan (Pakistani cricketer), in an interview to HT Cafe...


Your favourite actors?
Anil Kapoor and Hrithik Roshan.

And actresses?
Aishwarya Rai and the one who was about to get married to Abhishek Bachchan... but didn't... Rani Mukherji.

And Madhuri Dixit?
Nahi yaar, unki to shaadi or bache ho gaye hain.

But even you're
married?
I'm a guy.

Forgive me for being dense, but the connection is...?

---------------------

And then there's Sanjay Leela Bhansali (director of the interesting Khamoshi, over-the-top Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, disastrous Devdas and overhyped Black) in the Mumbai Mirror with...

Your women seem to belong to another age.

The modern Indian woman does not excite me. My women are strong. But they're also covered, guarded, cherished. My women are strong without screaming about
feminism. The Indian girl has lost her identity today.

That's not true at all. You forget that the Indian woman is still fighting
against a tradition of subjugation.

Does she need to cut her hair to do that?

The Indian woman plays a lot of roles in life. May be it's just simpler to
manage short hair. What's wrong with it?

Then cut your hair! But my heroines in my films won't. Where is the shringar today? The beauty is lost. There is a certain beauty in the ghunghat too. When a man loves his woman a lot, he doesn't want others to see her, he wants to protect her.

That may mean claustrophobia to women. That's when it's obsession, not love.

Oh, I don't mean the veil literally, nor do I mean negative obsession. But
there is a positive obsession in love. But why are we discussing all this, we're
going off track.

Strange, I haven't seen anyone yet say that Indian men have lost their identity when they cut or grow their hair, or fight for their rights (which is what feminism ultimately is, even if "screaming" about it seems to bother Mr. Bhansali so much).

4 comments:

Asterix said...

But even you're married?
I'm a guy.


This is my favorite quote from now on. I will make it my email signature.

Bleue said...

bah..
bhansali is one weirdo..
but i liked Black..

damn! younis khan: 'im a guy'..*rolls in laughter*

ps: goin by the scheme of things, even aishwarya is married now, yesno?

pps: you missed one crazy lecture..

cheers. keedas. peace.

indiegurl said...

I was always tellings that this Bhansali guy is a psychopath. Put him in chains, someone, before he pulls your mommy's braid.

aditi said...

hehehe...younis khans a jackass..and sanjay leela bhansali doesnt really make a difference to me..you know whats weird mu, i like your stuff even if it isnt yours ...:D