March 01, 2010

This Blog Talks About Movies All The Time!



I watched Karthik Calling Karthik today. Now, given the fact that there's Farhan in it, there's not much criticism you can expect to see here. To be fair though, even if it was SRK, I'd say it's a decent movie. However, Farhan Akhtar makes it a very good movie. Slow in parts, but that's made up for by Akhtar's acting.

Basic premise everyone knows. Karthik is a loser (who, by the way, is a CA! Haha CAs! Stand up straight, smile, look everyone in the eye and most importantly, look yourself in the eye - and tell yourself, "I'm a CA. Farhan's a CA. So I too can be awesome. QED.") His boss (Ram Kapoor, of Swayamwar fame, dependably OTT but with an interesting snarl) yells at him all day, his landlord annoys him, and the love of his life (Deepika Padukone, absolute *yawn* all over again) doesn't know he's alive.

What's that? How is she the love of his life? Well, like in every 2nd Hindi movie, they haven't spoken a word to each other. But he knows he's in love with her. (These are the same Hindi movies who frown upon lust as a bad thing.) Oh and he writes emails that he will never send to her.

The emails we're talking about, are like the secret dream of a 13 year old girl who reads too much Twilight. Maybe it's as well that he doesn't send them.

But I digress. Yeah, so Karthik boy is a loser until his alter ego steps into his life and helps him take over. So Karthik does, and woohoo, he's become a stud now. Gets the girl, gets a raise, refurnishes his apartment and all is well.

Then he tells the girlfriend about the phone calls, all hell breaks loose, phone freaks out several people, and it goes on. Won't bore you with the details.

What's interesting is that everyone asks Karthik what he does in that office of his. No one asks Deepika Padukone, because her job, apparently, is to walk in and out of the office at irregular hours, wearing designer clothes and looking slim as a willow. Yes, lady, you're pretty. Please put it to some use, will you? Every Deepika Padukone movie sort of merges into the other, or am I the only one who thinks so?

------------------------

Also, trailer for Kites. Now I hate (HATE) to say this, but it looks bloody retarded. Hrithik Roshan, for your sake I hope this movie isn't as terrible as it seems. Also, Rehab blogged about how the trailer is just wrong at many levels, and now that I've seen it, I agree.

9 comments:

Asterix said...

Mark my words, 10 years from now Farhan will be the new SRK! ;-)

Mudra said...

Aye! Mind it!

Anil P said...

Wonder if Farhan Akhtar is set to become the Amol Palekar of modern times a la Rajnigandha et al.

Thinking of it, it might not be a bad thing after all. :-)

Anonymous said...

I hope you write ONLY for your entertainment and as a means to pass,what I assume to be,the long hours of free time you have. Because if it's for the entertainment of others,this is by far one of the most 'pseudo intellectual' blogs I have ever come across.
Get over yourself. Please!

Rathesh said...

CA ?? I thought he was an IIM graduate in the movie. Anyway, spot on regarding Kites, its "ullu ka pattha" promo really looks dated.

Anonymous said...

She is an architect in the movie.

Mihir said...

Okay, first things first... There is a dialogue in the movie which you missed, perhaps, where she says that she's an architect. In a construction company.

Now, if you promise not to say anything against Deepika, I will return the favour by doing the same for Farhan. Deal? Thanks.

Well, ya... I liked the movie too. Quite a lot, actually. I think we can ignore the emails thingy no? And the love at first sight thingy too. It was a good entertainer.

I especially liked the bit when he leaves the city and goes down south.

Oh he was a CA and an MBA, btw :)

The Restless Quill said...

Anon1: Er, don't read no if you find this psuedo intellectual.

Mudra: Just an observation: Your post made me want to know more about the film. I don't watch Hindi films much but I've been a Farhan Akhtar fan long before Rock On. Something about him just totally appeals.

Also, I found it interesting that Kartik was spelt the south Indian way with an H, Karthik.

Spaz Kumari said...

farhan on screen puts me to sleep :(

which is not to say that deepika is a scintillating actress or anything...deepika, however, has THAT DIMPLE. it's like an alarm that wakes you up every so often, and then you fall asleep again. i mean.. she has THAT DIMPLE; why you want her to push her luck and act also?