March 23, 2011

Do you read poetry?

Do you enjoy it? Do you get it? Does it move you?

Because I don't. For as long as I can remember, poetry either felt like it was trying too hard or not trying at all. Either there is a thought or there are words. One usually overpowers the other and the end result is not enjoyable.

This, of course, is from limited experience. And if I'm not mistaken, I'm not alone. Poetry needs patience, and silence, and thought - and all these, just to read it. No wonder then that poetry the toughest thing to publish. (Short stories are next, and that is surprising.)

But here's the interesting thing. The best and most interesting poetry I've read has been online. On blogs, linking to obscure poems by (often) obscure poets. For this (among, admittedly, many many many other things), I am thankful to the www. :D

Anyway, the point, the point! The point of this post is, poetry isn't so bad. It's very often a song without music. And sometimes -just sometimes- the absence of music is what makes it so much more powerful.

Don't believe me? A few links:

An entire poem blog.

Rehab often writes and quotes poetry. I really loved this and this.

Go on, find more. And tell me about them. =)

3 comments:

Keetarp Aidonak said...

"A Psalm of Life" - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow - A little typical, but has some really fantastic lines in them.

Sushant said...

Seconded, I don't get poetry either. And you've already heard my views on people who randomly behave poetic and lyrical :P

Paanini said...
This comment has been removed by the author.