April 01, 2012

Nostalgia, And Its Undoing

The sad thing about life is that no one seems to make movies like Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa any more. Or, for that matter, Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar.

(Because YRF can start a whole youth-films division and churn out desi versions of John Tucker Must Die, but if you want to see true teenage confusion and angst, pliss refer to the above movies.)

There's a slew of great sitcoms, but they're all stereotypical while trying to be politically correct. There's no Seinfeld any more.

The Harry Potter series is over. Enid Blyton is long gone.

People my age are getting engaged and married.

They're doing it willingly.

In these uncertain times, we look to characters from our childhood to bob up, and reassure us. Baba Sehgal wanted to do just that.

But he ended up making Praji Kunjam Kunjam Control.

Cannot describe. Must watch.

9 comments:

Mohit Sureka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mohit Sureka said...

I tried reviving Baba sehgal in my group, guess no one wants to buy the Gold gym advert. I attend 2 marriages a month, on an average dance on sangeets in quarter of the weddings. Re-runs outweigh some new sitcoms. The teenage joy of reading died 2 days after realease and finish of deathly hallows in 2007. And I think you forget; Dekh bhai dekh, Sunday ke sunday, filmy chakkar

Akshay said...

True. I'm still trying to make.sense of kunjam control.
For me, How I met your mother and Big Bang theory, can never compete with Friends.

And the shows on Sab Tv are nonsense. No sense of humour, just stupid people being stupid.

Akshay said...

True. I'm still trying to make.sense of kunjam control.
For me, How I met your mother and Big Bang theory, can never compete with Friends.

And the shows on Sab Tv are nonsense. No sense of humour, just stupid people being stupid.

Keetarp Aidonak said...

That baba sehgal video is bloody crappy.

Amit V said...

Kiddo, you're too young to be nostalgic. Gah!

Shekhar said...

What the hell was Baba Sehgal thinking???

Miti said...

"The Harry Potter series is over. Enid Blyton is long gone."
*Sigh*

Yogesh said...

Seriously.. nothing seems exciting enough to pick up and read. Though enjoyed the Meluha trilogy... but nothing got me hooked to books like Harry Potter series.

As for friends getting married, well, I was one of the first in my gang to get married. And I have been the marriage counselor to everyone else ever since :P